Speaking with Power and Persuasion
We all love the convenience of a short, precise text message, but it comes at a cost. More and more people are ill equipped to pick up a phone or arrange an in-person meeting, and often even the idea of speaking causes actual anxiety.
In Speaking with Power and Persuasion, I give you the tools to engage in meaningful communication with easy to learn steps.
Whether you are a self-promoter, salesperson, educator, political candidate, business leader, or student learning English as a second language, Speaking with Power and Persuasion, explains:
- how the body and voice work together to produce a strong vocal image;
- tips for taking the stress out of speaking situations;
- erasing bad habits that make you hard to listen to, like nasality, hoarseness, or a monotone;
- ways to communicate certainty, approachability, and animation when you speak;
- speech and vocal techniques that help you sound smart, credible, and trustworthy;
- actors’ tricks so you’re heard clearly at the back of the room;• yoga for the voice—measures to keep your voice in tiptop shape;
- how to practice the techniques that dramatically improve receptiveness to your ideas;
- ways for a person with learning differences or disabilities to communicate more effectively;
- how families with a learning disabled child can communicate to manage stress and help their child succeed;
- what the ESL speaker can do to reduce a strong accent and connect better with native English speakers;
- ways for a native speaker to help a nonnative speaker improve their English pronunciation.
Unlike most advice on improving your speaking that you might receive from a sales trainer or debate coach, Speaking with Power and Persuasion comes from a professional with a solid scientific understanding of the workings of the voice.
The techniques I teach are precise, practical, and sustainable. You learn what to do, how often to practice, and exactly why the exercises improve the impression you make on others.